How to increase a websites rankings
How can I rank higher on Google and other search engines?
Every website owner almost always requires high rankings on Google and other search engines to gain the exposure for there website however how do you actually get high rankings? What is required? Google tells you that your on-page optimization needs to be completed to a high standard however what falls into the category for on-page optimization. What are backlinks? How do I get backlinks? In this article we are going to explain the basics and what you need to do to gain high rankings in Google.
What are the basics of on-page optimization
If you have built your own website instead of having a professional company build your site you may not have completed your on-page optimization fully. We have listed in bullet points below the main information that you need to know when completing your on-page optimization.
- Your website content needs to be high quality, relevant and informative. It also needs to be at least 500 words in length.
- Main keyword phrase is included in the title.
- Main keyword phrase is included in at least one of the sub-headlines.
- Main keyword phrase is included within the main content body between 3-10 times. You don’t want to over-do it though as it could be deemed to look ‘spammy’ and as if you are stuffing your keyword phrase. Remember to keep your readers in mind, what information do they require to know when visiting your website.
- Insure that your pages include the relevant images and graphics that illustrate your business.
- Another way to increase rankings is to make sure you have captions for your images which include your search phrases, this massively increases the relevancy for the images.
- If your website is purely for informational purposes make sure that the resources on the page are excellent so that visitors will want to share your website with others either via there own websites or social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Google+. This will generate backlinks which is the main ‘trigger’ that Google pays attention to when ranking websites in Google.
- Location, Location, Location: If you offer services within a specific county make sure you mention the area within your content.
- No misspellings or poor grammar. Yes, the search engines downgrade for either.
- Inclusion of social media links and / or user discussion or reviews. Pages with active visitor interaction are scored higher than static pages.
Coding and Behind-the-Scenes Factors
- If possible include your main keyword phrase within the page URL however again do not make this look spammy as it’s not critical to your rankings.
- Meta Title tag: Every page should have an HTML title (enclosed in <title> </title> tags). The title copy should be unique, include the target keyword or target phrase, and must be 70 characters or less (any longer, and Google will truncate it anyway). If you are a customer of Cheap Web Design you will more than likely have a plugin installed on your website which will assist you to maximising your title tags.
- Meta description tag: Your meta description tag is massively important as it’s the snippet of text that users read along with your meta title tag before they decide to click on your website or not, if this is highly relevant and clearly shows that your website will provide the information required for the user you can happily rank 4th or 5th and still generate the same traffic as ranking 1st in Google.
- Image alt text: We discussed adding images to your web pages above now this is where you can need to make sure that your images are even more relevant to the search engines by making sure that your Alt tags are your main keyword phrases.
- Links from copy: If your website is more for informational purposes you may find that you will want to link to relevant sources that are related to the articles you write. Try to only link to highly relevant sources and don’t over do this again as you can be penalized for to many outbound links.
- Mobile: In this day n age its hugely important to make sure that your website is optimized for mobile users. More and more users now go on mobiles and tablets rather than a PC, Mac or Laptop to visit websites. If your site isn’t mobile optimized you need to get this sorted asap.
What are backlinks and how does my website gain them?
Backlinks can be gained in many ways such as social media interaction Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest and can also be gained by other webmasters sharing your information on there own websites or linking to your website as they find that your site is highly relevant and could be helpful to there visitors.
The main issue that many webmasters have is that if you are in a competitive industry why would your competitors want to backlink to your website? They aren’t going to generate more business from doing this, if anything it will be depremental to there business. If you want to rank in the competitive spots on Google you need to have highly relevant backlinks from trusted sources but as we have just explained your competitors will not want to link with you.
How can I overcome the difficulty of my competitors not wanting to build links to my website.
An option is to hire an SEO agency to complete the work on your behalf, this way you don’t have to worry about the stresses and the huge amounts of time that SEO takes. Many SEO agencies already have relationships in place with thousands of webmasters so when a client comes along in the ‘heating’ industry they can simply contact the webmasters and request for them to share a few articles which then subsequently links to the ‘heating’ website. You are then gaining highly relevant backlinks from trusted sources within the same industry which Google will pay attention to and rank your website higher in the searches.
Another option is to use platforms such as WordPress, Reddit etc these are web 2.0 platforms that anyone can sign up to. You can then create a blog which is related to your industry with highly relevant content which can link to your main website, this is another way to generate relevant backlinks to your site.
Obviously this is a very brief overview on what is required when it comes to ranking your website on Google and other search engines however we hope that this has been of assistance and helps you. If you have any questions or queries please do not hesitate to get in touch with us.